Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Katy Perry's 'Part Of Me' Video Depicts 'Affirmation Of Strength'

Katy Perry takes on a whole new role in her new "Part of Me" video. In it, she plays a woman who joins the Marines following her breakup with her boyfriend. While Perry is usually pretty soft and feminine in her clips, this video shows another rougher, tougher side of the superstar ? running through the mud and wearing a uniform and face paint. And that was her intention.

"Well, I think that everybody can see that I love to take chances with my videos, and also have a lot of fun," she told MTV News when she premiered the Ben Mor-directed video on "MTV First: Katy Perry" Wednesday night (March 21). If the video seems a bit hard for the singer who previously brought us candy-coated imagery and whipped-cream-spewing bras, then "mission accomplished."

"It's an affirmation of strength, so I wanted to go the strongest route I ever could," she explained. "Literally, I was like, 'I'm gonna join the service. I'm gonna join the Marines.' We used only Marines. ... For three days, I was a wannabe Marine, which was so difficult."

The video was shot over several days in February at the Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base in Oceanside, California. And for Katy it was all about fully experiencing life as a Marine in boot camp. "Those people work hard and work out. I learned how to flip someone. I learned how to flip them on their back. I learned how to wrestle underwater," she said about her training for the video, which also includes some boot camp footage.

The singer knew that authenticity would be important. "I just love it and I think people really respond to it," she said. "People can catch the BS ... and I just wanted to really go for it."

"Part of Me" is the lead single off Perry's Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection, out March 26.

Stick with MTV News as we roll out more exclusive news from our "MTV First: Katy Perry" interview!

Gretha Cavazzoni Gwen Stefani Halle Berry Hayden Panettiere Haylie Duff Heidi Klum Heidi Montag

No comments:

Post a Comment