Monday, August 29, 2011

Lady Gaga: Best New Artist VMA 'Changed My Life'

The 2009 Video Music Awards belonged to Lady Gaga. She stunned us on the red carpet, wearing a Jean Paul Gaultier gown with Kermit the Frog on her arm, and shocked us onstage with her blood-soaked performance of "Paparazzi."

In 2010, Gaga returned to the VMAs and made everyone's jaws drop again when she hit the stage in her infamous meat dress. Yet, out of all of her iconic VMA moments, there is one that really stood out for Mother Monster: her win for Best New Artist.

"I will always remember Best New Artist," Gaga told MTV News. "I just remember that I won and I was surprised and I was really taken aback."

Eminem presented Gaga with the award that night, and she is still a bit embarrassed about asking him to hold her newly acquired award as she peeled off her face-covering red-lace crown to thank her Little Monsters face-to-face.

"I remember I asked Eminem to hold my Moonman," Gaga recalled. "And than he sort of looked at me like, 'Are you f---ing kidding me?' But he's really cool, so it was fine."

We can't say that we blame her for what she did, since she said there were a million different things running through her mind when they announced that she was the big winner. "It was a super surreal moment, where you have to think very quickly," Gaga said of accepting her Moonman. "You can't hear yourself, because they are screaming so loud, and you don't have an in-ear [monitor] and you've got a microphone and you've got to get everything out, and I just remember I said, 'To God and the gays,' and I remember when I was done, I thought that was the right thing to say."

But we weren't just transfixed by what Gaga was saying; we also couldn't take our eyes off of what she was wearing. Gaga hit the stage in an Alexander McQueen dress, complete with a crown and her face covered with red lace. What the viewers didn't know is that Gaga never planned to show her face during her acceptance speech.

"I think I had been told and asked profusely by my label to take it off if I won," Gaga said of removing the mask. "I was like, 'I'm not breaking the fourth wall of this performance.' I gave them this whole sassy answer. Then I got up there, I just got so overwhelmed, and I ripped it off, and I'll never forget that moment. The first time that MTV recognized me, that changed my life."

The 28th annual MTV Video Music Awards will air live Sunday from Los Angeles at 9 p.m. ET/PT, following the Selena Gomez-hosted pre-show at 8. See the list of nominees, revisit last year's highlights and vote for Best New Artist by visiting VMA.MTV.com.

January Jones Jennie Finch Jennifer Aniston Jennifer Gareis

No comments:

Post a Comment