Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Watch It: 'Lost' Anniversary Marks Polarizing Finale

Two years ago, an impossible beam of bright light zapped out of an island and left "Lost" fans everywhere dumbfounded, for better or for worse. The series finale was polarizing, no doubt about it: was it brilliant? Was it moronic? Fandom remains divided on the issue to this very day, and we're marking the occasion with our own look back on "Lost" history.

Go back to the island, and find out what else we're watching, in this week's Watch It!

"Fifty Shades of Grey"
I hate to say it, but I've been consumed by "Fifty Shades of Grey." It's not a movie, but it certainly will be, which is why I decided to give it a read. As "Twilight" fan fiction, I definitely notice traces of Edward Cullen and Bella Swan in the main characters of Christian Grey and Ana Steele. Christian is brooding, self-deprecating and impossibly good-looking, while Ana is clumsy, shy and doesn't realize her own beauty. The couple's S&M relationship is both sexy and ridiculous, but what really interests me is their connection sans the physical affair. I find myself in anticipation of their email correspondence more than their trysts in Christian's Red Room of Pain. I have about 20 pages to go and I'm embarrassingly considering buying the sequels. Does that mean I can no longer say reading the series is "research for work"? -Fallon Prinzivalli, MTV Movies editorial assistant

"Serenity"
Over the weekend, I was lucky enough to attend the Los Angeles Times Hero Complex Film Festival, and the closing film of the fest remains to be my favorite: "Serenity." There's something about the way Nathan Fillion's Captain Malcolm Reynolds says, "I aim to misbehave" that lets me know a "Firefly" marathon will be happening in the Schwartz household very soon. -Terri Schwartz, MTV Movies contributor

"Sherlock" & "House"
This week I watched two TV finales -- the second season finale of ?Sherlock? and the series finale of ?House.? Both were sad, sweet and somewhat shocking. They also shared a major plot point (which I won?t spoil here). You may be aware that the characters of Dr. House and his best friend, Dr. Wilson, were loosely based on Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. But here?s another interesting fact that links the two series: Long ago, before most folks in the US knew of either of them, Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) played Hugh Laurie?s (House) son on a really funny UK show called ?Fortysomething.? Check it out; it?s available on Netflix. -Tami Katzoff, MTV News producer

"Lost"
I am an unapologetic "Lost" fan who unapologetically thinks that the show's final twist was pretty poor. Honestly, the final season missed the mark for me. But does the existence of an abstract world where all of our favorites heroes (and some of our favorite villains) get to hang out with each other for all of eternity take away from six years of awesome Sawyer one-liners? Does it kill the pure joy we felt when Sawyer, Charlie, Jin and Hurley successfully kick-started the DHARMA van in the jungle and drove around for hours to celebrate? Does it make Michael Emerson's Benjamin Linus any less creepy? I don't think so. (And if you think so, please refamiliarize yourself with the video below; that dude is way creepy). If any story has ever taught me the lesson of journeys versus destinations, it's "Lost." No silly endings will ever change my love for the six-year roller coaster ride Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse took me on. And if you'll excuse me, I'm going to leave work tonight and celebrate the anniversary by watching Jack Shephard land a flying death punch on Fake-Locke's face on repeat for two hours. -Josh Wigler, MTV Movies Blog editor

What are you guys watching this week? Let us know in the comments section or hit us up on Twitter!

Tags Fifty Shades of Grey, House, lost, serenity, Sherlock

Amber Heard Amber Valletta America Ferrera Amerie Amy Cobb Amy Smart Ana Beatriz Barros

No comments:

Post a Comment